Searching for a sure sign of spring? Head to the Downtown Rochester Farmers’ Market on Opening Day, Saturday, May 2.
Celebrating its 16th season, the Farmers’ Market is a frequent stop for area residents to enjoy the vibrant colors, aromas and flavors of southeast Michigan’s growing season. Located at the corner of E. Third and Water Street, just one block east of Main Street, the market is open every Saturday, May 2 through October 31, from 8am – 1pm.
“Shopping at the Downtown Rochester Farmers’ Market is a great way to gain a sense of community,” said Nancy Voges, marketing coordinator for the Rochester Downtown Development Authority. “The market has become a weekly outing for many families. It’s also a great way to access fresh, locally grown products.”
New this season, the Downtown Rochester Farmers’ Market is a participant in the Double Up Food Bucks (DUFB) program through the Fair Food Network. This seasonal program provides customers who use their federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to shop at our market with a one-to-one match to purchase Michigan grown fruits and vegetables. DUFB gives recipients of public assistance access to fresh, healthy food while supporting the local farm economy.
Opening Day festivities will include:
· FREE Farmers’ Market Tote Bags with special offers from your favorite downtown Rochester businesses for the first 500 adult customers (Pinwheels for the kids, while supplies last.)
· Live music by blues artist, Paul Miles, sponsored by Lincoln of Troy, 8-11am
· Pot-a-Plant for Mother’s Day Kids Activity and Upland Hills Farm Animal Show sponsored by Goldfish Swim School & Re/Max Defined
· Enter-to-win for more than 20, $25 gift certificates donated by downtown Rochester businesses
· Enter-to-win the Harvest Basket Drawing for a collection of products donated by market vendors
The market features only Michigan-grown (or made) products including vegetables, fruits, flowers, container gardens, fresh cut flowers, herbs, homemade baked goods, gnocchi, jams and jellies, honey, maple syrup, locally roasted coffee and various certified organic products including eggs, beef and chicken.
The Downtown Rochester Farmers’ Market is presented by the Rochester Downtown Development Authority, the City of Rochester and South Street Auto Care. For more information about the market, please visit DowntownRochesterMI.com or contact the Rochester DDA office at 248/656-0060.