Family-friendly fundraising event engages Metro Detroiters of all ages
Families, grown-up geeks and the curiously young at heart are invited to Colorosity: The Annual Science Soirée, a benefit for the Michigan Science Center. Sponsored by Axalta Coating Systems, a leading global supplier of liquid and powder coatings, the all-ages event blends color and curiosity and will take place on Saturday, Oct. 24, from 6-11 p.m. A unique celebration of science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM), the evening will highlight the science of color through new programs and interactive art and design activities. Proceeds from Colorosity, which features a strolling dinner and colorful drinks, will benefit MiSci’s education and outreach programs.
“We are turning MiSci into a STEAM wonderland of color and curiosity and taking ‘family night out’ to a whole new level!” said Dr. Tonya Matthews, president and CEO of the Michigan Science Center. “Thanks to support from Axalta, we’re able to bring this amazing event to life and continue to fund our mission of providing access to science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education to kids in Detroit and throughout Michigan.”
The event, tagged “a little dressy and a lot messy,” features fun and engaging activities, including:
- Color Psychology – Participants can discover the science of perception at five different stations featuring the interaction of the human brain and senses with the environment.
- Explosions of Color – Attendees can enjoy eight interactive experiences using a variety of scientific reactions to produce explosions of color.
- Illumination Station – Guests will explore 10 immersive stations illuminating light and color.
- Mixing, Morphing & Melting – Kids can get their hands on some color with engaging activities just for young scientists!
- MiSci Artist-in-Residence Timothy Orikri: participate in a live art experience where guests contribute to a large mosaic of color.
- 2014 Kresge Fellow and World Space Party Art-X Artist Daniel Land: see the space shuttle Endeavour and A T. rex Named Sue brought to colorful life via projection-mapping visuals by New D Media Arts
- Axalta Coating Systems Color Marketing Manager Nancy Lockhart: learn about the world of automotive color including how car coatings are made and what the most iconic trends have been over the last 90 years
- More exciting artists, experts and performers to be announced!
Colorosity guests will be among the first to visit Toytopia, a new exhibit opening on Oct. 17, focusing on learning through play and the importance of invention, complete with a giant LEGO® wall, classic arcade games, a play-by-foot piano, life-sized doll house and more. Attendees can also explore A T. rex Named Sue, opening in early October and is the largest, most complete and best-preserved T. rex ever discovered. A unique silent auction and raffle on-site will help raise money for MiSci’s high-impact programs.
“At Axalta, we believe in giving back to the communities in which we work and live, so we are proud to support the Michigan Science Center in its pursuit of making STEM a fun and inviting field for budding geniuses,” said David Fischer, Axalta vice president for Market Strategy and Growth. “Colorosity will be a great event celebrating what we love most: color!”
General tickets are $125 for adults and $50 for kids. VIP tickets are $200 for adults and $75 for kids. The VIP experience includes an exclusive VIP lounge in the ITC Gallery, with private access to A T. rex Named Sue. Additionally, VIP guests will enjoy free valet parking, a private bar and surprise performances.
For more information and to register for the event, visit www.bit.ly/colorosity.
About Axalta Coating Systems
Axalta is a leading global company focused solely on coatings and providing customers with innovative, colorful, beautiful and sustainable solutions. From light OEM vehicles, commercial vehicles and refinish applications to electric motors, buildings and pipelines, our coatings are designed to prevent corrosion, increase productivity and enable the materials we coat to last longer. With nearly 150 years of experience in the coatings industry, the more than 12,800 people of Axalta continue to find ways to serve our more than 120,000 customers in 130 countries better every day with the finest coatings, application systems and technology. For more information visit axaltacoatingsystems.com and follow us @axalta on Twitter and on LinkedIn.
About the Michigan Science CenterThe Michigan Science Center is a hands-on museum that inspires curious minds of all ages to discover, explore and appreciate science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in a creative, dynamic learning environment. The Science Center features five theaters, including Michigan’s largest screen at the Chrysler IMAX® Dome Theatre; the Dassault Systèmes Planetarium; the Toyota Engineering 4D Theater; the DTE Energy Sparks Theater; the Chrysler Science Stage; a 9,800 square-foot Traveling Science Hall for special exhibits; hands-on exhibit galleries focusing on space, life and physical science; Kids Town just for pint-size scientists; along with, education and outreach programs. For more information, please call 313.577.8400 or visit the website, www.Mi-Sci.org.