Metro Detroit Mommy Blogger Theresa Walker - BeachBody Coach
Being a mom, it is challenging to find time for myself. Fitness often falls to the bottom of the list right under nap time. But once I started, I noticed exercise really gave me a lot more energy; more energy to tackle the rest of what I had to accomplish that day! Don't be fooled, you don't need an expensive gym membership either, you can do things right in your own home to burn calories. And you don't need to dedicate an hour a day, 20-30 minutes can get the job done. Here are some tips that helped me get on track and stay consistent.
1. Set your
goals. Start with specifics, for example: to exercise 3x a week, try a new
workout routine, lose 10lbs etc. Write it down. You will never reach your goals if you don't know what you want them to be and how you plan to get there.
2. Schedule. We schedule everything else in our lives, why not
schedule our workouts? Get up early, do it during nap time, video game
time, after dad gets home so he can watch the kids etc. Make a point to
find the best time for you and do it, don't put it off.
Set your alarm, lay out your clothes, or wear your workout clothes
until you workout for the day! If you know your kids need
entertainment, pick out a movie or game to keep them occupied.
Involve the family. If you can't find alone time, why not everyone go
for a bike ride, walk or run? Ever let your kids workout with you? Why
not, most kids love to do jumping jacks and to even try things like
5. Find a workout buddy or accountability partner. If you
have a friend meeting you for a run, you aren't very likely to bail.
6. Find something in 30 minutes or under to do. You don't need to
spend an hour you may not have, 20-30 minutes is a decent time to
workout. Don't have that? Even 10 a day is better than nothing. You
can even break it up- ten minutes in the morning, ten after lunch and ten
after dinner. It adds up!
7. Check out Pinterest or FitnessBlender.com for free and quick workouts you can do at home. You don't need a gym or to spend hundreds of dollars on workout programs. Once you find what you like to do and works for you, then invest in what that activity might be. If you try HIIT and don't like it, try bike riding, tennis, walking, running, yoga, pilates, circuit training, there is SO much out there, you will find an activity you enjoy!
8. Prioritize. Once you get started, it takes a while for something to become a habit. Fitness should become a habit for you, if you prioritize it! Can dusting wait one more day? Can you DVR a favorite show and watch it later? Can you tell yourself it's OK to focus on yourself for 30 minutes and the other things can wait? Being healthy for yourself and your kids, should be a priority in your life.
9. Define Your WHY. This can be huge, sometimes we know we should do something, but we don't exactly think about why it is important. Take a little time to define your reason for wanting to take time to take care of yourself and your body. Think of it on days you are feeling lethargic or stressed, remember there is a reason fitness is important.
10. Use a journal to log your progress and struggles.
Seriously, a written journal or something on your laptop or phone,
whatever it is; you should make some quick notes each day. Include the
positive changes you made, also include the things you need to work on.
Also mention how you are feeling, are you feeling more energetic?
After a few months it is nice to look and see how much better you feel,
to notice the difference.
Feb 1, 2016
10 Tips for Busy Moms Who Want to be More Active
Metro Detroit Mommy Blogger Theresa W
Metro Detroit Mommy Blogger: Theresa W
Theresa is a wife and stay at home mother of 2 energetic boys, DJ (10) and Aiden (7). Her hobbies include traveling, reading, running, blogging, yoga and cooking. She considers herself a "Fit Foodie" and loves experimenting with new recipes and trying new restaurants around town. She enjoys being active and in her free time you can find her running; she just completed her first marathon in Traverse City. She is also a BeachBody Coach, she loves to share her passion for health and fitness with others to help them reach their personal goals. You can find her Facebook page at Inspired Health & Fitness, where daily she posts recipes, motivation, fitness tips etc. She hopes she can share some of her tips for healthy eating and exercise for busy moms and Metro Detroit Mommy Fans.