Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato basil soup is one of my favorite soups, I was thrilled to find this healthier version! The key to making this healthier is using unsweetened almond milk, instead of heavy cream. I'm happy to report after trying it, I found it extremely delicious and satisfying and will be making it again soon, because the batch I made went very quickly!
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tsp dried basil leaves
1- 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, basil or croutons
1. Heat oil in a medium sauce pan on medium high heat.
2. Add carrots, onion and dried basil, cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
3. Add tomatoes, salt and broth; cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes or until it reaches a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low. Gently boil for 15 minutes.
4. Place soup in a blender, in 2 or more batches, cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
5. Return soup to sauce pan. Add almond milk, cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Do NOT let it come to a boil.
6. Ladle into a bowls, top with desired toppings. Enjoy!
Makes 8 One Cup Servings, at 82 calories.
Recipe is from Autumn Calabrese's FIXATE Cook book which has recipes that follow the 21 Day Fix nutrition plan.