What: The Michigan Science Center (MiSci) is hosting Illuminate: A Night at the Museum, an electrifying all-ages event celebrating the science of light and showcasing its new exhibit, Creatures of Light: Nature’s Bioluminescence. The interactive event will feature after-hours access to the museum’s permanent exhibits, Planetarium and science stage shows, performances by Sunshine Fire, touch tanks from Sea Life Aquarium.
Guests will also explore the wonders of light with special hands-on activities, including:
· Painting with Light: Light up the night and write a message in the dark at our Light Painting station. Light painting is a photography technique using slow a shutter speed to draw in the air with light. With our supply of various sources of light, we are sure you will have some bright ideas!
· Technology Hologram: Witness a larger-than-life hologram image and create your own mini version to take home, using your smart phone and a few simple supplies!
· Bling Bar: Transform into one of our Creatures of Light by making an LED angler fish headband or a fire fly pin!
· Diffraction Glasses & Spectrum Tubes: Design and create Diffraction Glasses, then chase rainbows as these sassy specs separate and diffract the light around us. Put them to the test in our Planetarium show: Cosmic Colors!
· Paint by Numbers Throwies: Learn about electricity by creating an LED circuit and then throw your creation to create a piece of bioluminescent art, which will be showcased in our newest exhibit Creatures of Light!
· Thermal Mapping: Did you know your body can light up too? See where your skin is radiating the warmest heat waves with our infrared camera!
· Perler Beads: Use beads to create unique glow-in-the-dark designs.
· Glow Slime – Make oozy slime that glows in dark!
· Live Demo (Luminol): Learn how energy produces visible light through chemical reactions. We think it’s pretty brilliant!
· Fluorescing Bubbles: Make ordinary dry ice into vibrant bubbles that glow under ultra violet light!
Desserts will be provided and a cash bar will be available for guest 21+.
Tickets can be purchased here.
· Adults - $40 each
· Children - $15 each
At Illuminate, the Science Center will also recognize our Million Dollar Donors – DTE Energy, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Toyota and ITC Holdings. Thanks to the continued support from sponsors like these, MiSci is able to host events, such as Illuminate, and present the latest science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programming to children and their families.
When: Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 7 – 11 p.m.
Where: The Michigan Science Center
5020 John R St
Detroit, MI 48202
About the Michigan Science Center
The Michigan Science Center is a hands-on museum that inspires curious minds of all ages to discover, explore and appreciate science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in a creative, dynamic learning environment. The Science Center features five theaters, including Michigan’s largest screen at the Chrysler IMAX® Dome Theatre; the Dassault Systèmes Planetarium; the Toyota Engineering 4D Theater; the DTE Energy Sparks Theater; the Chrysler Science Stage; a 9,800 square-foot Traveling Science Hall for special exhibits; hands-on exhibit galleries focusing on space, life and physical science; Kids Town just for pint-size scientists; along with, education and outreach programs. The Michigan Science Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and does not receive any money from the city of Detroit or the state of Michigan. For more information, please call 313.577.8400 or visit the website, www.Mi-Sci.org