- 1 10oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked farro
- 4 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 TBSP minced onion
- 1 TSP ground cumin
- 1 TSP dried oregano
- 3 large (any color) bell peppers, sliced in half or top cut off and emptied
- Preheat Oven to 350. Pour 1 1/4 cup of water in bottom of a 13x9" baking pan. Set aside.
- Cook farro using instructions on package, drain, set aside.
- In large bowl, combine tomatoes, beans, farro, spinach, onion, cumin and oregano.
4. Cut peppers in half or remove top; remove seeds and membranes; fill each until stuffed.
5. Bake 35 minutes or until peppers are tender, adding water to the pan, if necessary. (If you like crunchier peppers, check them after 20 minutes.) Top with cheese, bake additional 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
These also re-heat great in the oven or microwave later in the week; perfect for lunch!
If you have extra "stuffing", which I often I often do, since it's hard to get it perfect, it tastes great by itself. You can also use more peppers, I really stuff mine to the top, but if you like less stuffing per pepper, plan on using a few more peppers. I've also found you can fit more stuffing in the full peppers with just the top cut off, than when they are sliced length-wise.
Switching up ingredients, you can customize, any grain like brown rice or barley will taste great. You can try kale instead of spinach. You can also add in things like diced carrots or celery if you want more crunch. Garlic also adds more flavor in addition to or instead of onion. Have fun & Enjoy!