Find out everything you ever wanted to know about Car Seat Safety on The Car Seat Lady's site.
So it's winter time and it's cold, you bundle your kids in to get in the car and now you have to adjust the straps on your child's car seat to accommodate their bulky coat. Did you know that that adjustment can put your child at risk?
According to the American Association of Pediatrics bulky clothing, including winter coats and snowsuits, can compress in a crash and lead to increased risk of injury. Ideally, dress your child in thinner layers and tuck a coat or a blanket around your child over the buckled harness straps if needed.
Here is a great video from the Car Seat Lady:
So basically, the extra bulk can compress in a car accident and leave enough room for your child to be ejected from their car seat and can cause serious injury.
|Carlyn wearing her coat backwards|
and over the car seat straps.
There are a few solutions for this situation.
1. Take off the coat and wear it backwards OVER the straps. This option allows for the child to take off their coat once the car warms up. Basically, take off the child's coat, buckle them in (without the coat) then place the coat on over the straps backwards.
2. Cover the child with a blanket over the straps. Similar to option one. The child can remove the blanket once the car warms up.
3. Layer - Dress your child in tight thin layers. See The Car Seat Lady's recommendations here.
4. Use a car seat Poncho. The Poncho allows for the child to wear a coat while outside. The back lifts up over the back of the car seat and the straps are buckled under the front. So there is no outer material between the seat buckles and child.
SunRae Designs (owned by a Metro Detroit Mom) offers many different poncho styles and sizes. They are normally made of fleece, but since I have tactile issues, I had the girls ponchos custom made from cotton.
If you don't want to wait, you can buy one today from Modern Natural Baby in Ferndale.
|Rosa in her car seat, wearing her SunRae Designs poncho.|
5. Use a car seat safe coat. How do you know if a coat is safe? We show you in this video below. One Kid Road Coat is one coat that is designed to keep kids warm and safe in the car. Check out our One Kid Road Coat review.